Why You Should Review Your ERP Software in Your Annual Business Checkup
Posted Tuesday, September 20, 2011 by Don Kapuscinski
Just as you periodically review the progress of your business as a whole, you must also review the progress of your ERP software. Moreover, it may serve you well to do both at the same time since the essential purpose of your ERP system is to enhance your business anyway.
That review should include the following:
* Review of business objectives and strategies – How did your ERP fit into those objectives, and was it useful in helping you achieve them?
* Business management system effectiveness – It is not enough for your ERP system to sit on the sidelines and look pretty. It must have a significant impact on how your employees conduct business in order to be worth the investment.
* Reporting effectiveness – At the end of the year, you should have a ton of reports and data about your business. ERP systems are good for that. But are those reports meaningful, and can you synthesize them into strategic plans for the future?
* Review executive information systems and exception management systems
* Review functional possibilities
Ultimately, your ERP system should work for you rather than you working for it (within its constraints). That means you should have quantifiable results at the end of your experiment, and hopefully it will be more than that and become a lasting feature of your organization’s efficiency and optimal performance.
Many companies have been running their systems for over a decade. We encourage all our clients to allow us to assist them with an annual software annual checkup. A few things a checkup might find:
* You have new users who could use the system more efficiently with some Dynamics GP user training.
* You installed the latest release but are not using all the new features that make sense for your business.
* You are doing a manual workaround for an issue that could be solved by an easy change to the system.
* You are no longer using some of the licenses you purchased and could save money by consolidating these licenses or purchasing lite user licenses instead.
MRP Consulting has become the largest Dynamics GP Manufacturing partner in North America. We have worked with over 600 companies Worldwide and are available for a 1-day onsite visit in which we will map out your current processes and measure them again your current systems. Sometimes a “tune-up” is all that is needed to keep your business running as it should. We can all agree that having the right software will not only improve internal processes and productivity, but will also improve customer relationships.
Give us a call today.